We Repair your Roof correctly the first time!
Drop us a line!
There are a wide variety of potential roof issues a home or business owner could run into. The most common roof issues that we encounter are as follows:
- Leaks: Leaks in the roof is one of the most common repair situations that we deal with. They may occur due to poor installation or a failing moisture barrier.
- Curled shingles: curled shingles are another problem that occurs due to poor ventilation, resulting in air being trapped in the decks. These lead to possible mold growth in them and the curling up of the edges. In severe cases, the only solution is roof replacement.
- Blow-offs: Due to exposed seams or laps, winds or moisture can easily penetrate through the layers, allowing them to loosen up and blow off from the roof. This is another one of the most common problems that we encounter
- Poor craftsmanship: poor workmanship can result in shoddy installation, which shows itself when pieces begin to fall off the roof. The bad quality in turn causes premature aging, causing headaches for the homeowners.
- Improper repairs: perhaps the last roofing company you called to fix a leak didn’t do things with the greatest care or use quality products when installing replacement shingles or in doing other repairs. Therefore, whenever you look for roof repair in Rockville, MD, you must always choose the most experienced company in the game.
Common Roof Types
Anatomy of an Asphalt Shingle Roof
Roof Deck – These are the flat panels that are attached to the rafters of your home and form the base layer of the roof itself. Usually made of construction-grade plywood.
Underlayment – Specially made felt paper or rubber membrane is installed on all exposed roof decking. There have been technological advances that have upgraded this component resulting in greater strength and breathability, which prolongs the service life of wood decking.
Ice and water shield – This component is critical for watertight integrity in critical roofing areas, usually along the roof’s edge. The leak barrier is installed a minimum of 6 feet up your roofline from the edge of the roof at gutter/eaves (which is code), down valleys (where two roofing planes intersect), around the chimney, at the intersection of a roof plane and a vertical wall, and around any penetration through the roofline (soil stacks, vents, fans, skylights, etc).
Starter strips – Another critical component, the starter strips are specifically manufactured for installation at all edges of your roofline to prevent wind and water intrusion under shingles.
Shingles – These can be asphalt (most popular), fiberglass, tile, synthetic, wood or slate. All shingles should have a written manufacturer’s warranty against defects.
Flashing – Flashing is metal or copper seals that are placed around vent pipes, chimney or other protrusions to prevent water from leaking through a gap between the object and the roof. Also used in high volume flow areas like valleys and joints.
Ventilation – Perhaps the single most important component of the roofing system in a temperate zone. Proper ventilation provides longevity to your wood decking and every other for all roofing components. Even more critical than this, proper ventilation helps to provide for a healthy home.
Shingle cap – An overlooked area, this special shingle caps are manufactured specifically for each type of shingles. It covers the peaks of your roof, enhances the roof’s look and are essential to validate the roof system’s warranty.